Saturday 10 November 2012

The Weekend Anime Post

Mei and Yamato
Mei is slowly learning about friendship with the help of
Yamato
For the weekend I feel like changing it up, so instead of yacking about RPGs I'm going to yack about anime. What I've been watching recently to be exact. So I'll get right down to it.

First up I've got a couple of romances that I've been watching with the missus: Say I Love You and My Little Monster. They're both pretty good, and focus on people who are more socially reclusive. In the case of Say I Love You it's one character in particular that doesn't get on too well with others, a girl named Mei. However, when one of the handsomest boys in her high school takes a liking to her she slowly learns to come out her shell and trust people. Up to this point she's always strongly believed that other people can't be trusted because they'll always betray her in the end. Thanks to this lad (his name's Yamato by the way), and some of his friends, Mei is starting to become more social, and getting more comfortable doing stuff with others. Obviously there is a romance budding between her and Yamato as well, but it's also nice to see how she is growing as a person and becoming more social.

Shizuku and Haru getting into a conversation
There's a lot of comedy in My Little
Monster
My Little Monster focuses on a group of kids, most of whom have difficulty making friends or outright don't care about having any. So far this one is a lot more lighthearted than Say I Love You. It has a nice comedic shtick to it, especially between the show's two main characters, Shizuku and Haru. I like Haru's amazing depths of social ineptness. Deep down he really would like to have friends, but he just doesn't know how to go about it. Shizuku, while cold on the outside, does have emotions, and it's interesting to watch as she comes to terms with her feelings for Haru. I'm also really liking the supporting cast. Natsume is cute, and helps keep the mood cheerful. Sasahara seems a nice enough guy, but I've not found myself becoming all that attached to him. Recently the show introduced Haru's older brother, and it doesn't sound like Haru has a good relationship with his family. I'm curious where this may lead as the series continues to unfold.

Mei, Koichi, Izumi, and Naoya together
"Another" is pretty great.  Sooooo many dead junior high students, though.
Lastly, I did a marathon session, watching the horror series Another. I really liked it. The show is about a cursed junior high school class, where everyone in that particular class is at risk of being part of a string of deaths that year. There are certain conditions that need to be met for it to happen, and when it does, it's guaranteed that a number of kids in that class and / or close relatives will meet grizzly ends that year. This series was a lot of fun with several tense moments where you just know someone is about to die, and you are telling them, "No! Don't do that!" "Run!" and so on. Of course they can't hear you, and they die, but it's one of those shows that draws in the viewer like that. There's also a mystery to solve as members of the class try to find a way to undo the curse. It turns out that one of the main reasons that some years the curse comes into effect is if there is one more person in the class there is supposed to be. It's a dead person that doesn't realize that they are dead, and the people in the class suffer from there memories being altered to accommodate that person. It was quite the interesting twist when the show revealed who this person was. I also liked quite a lot of the characters in the show, which made it all the harder when some of them died, and a lot of people die in it. The main characters, Koichi and Mei, are pretty great too. I really liked watching them get to know each other and grow closer over the course of the show.

That's about all I had time for this week, and a lot of it was me getting up to speed on the shows, as I'd never seen My Little Monster before so I needed to catch up on that, and I got so drawn into Another that I got through the whole thing in a couple of evenings. I was hoping to watch some Gintama, but for the second week in a row Crunchyroll has "Classics" from the series re-airing. I guess the show is getting preempted by stuff in Japan right now or something, so there's nothing new going up. It's disappointing because I was glad that the Kintama arch was finally coming to an end, and hoping that we'd get to see the Shinsengumi again soon, but I suppose I'll have to wait a while longer.

Anywho, that's what I've been watching over the past week. If you're into anime, what have you been watching?

No comments:

Post a Comment